Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Two words: Ribbon Room

Just before the wedding, my mom-in-law and I undertook the semi-gigantic task of sewing four matching bridesmaid sashes and two ring pillows for the ceremony. Being the fantastically wise and crafty woman she is, she revealed to me what is, perhaps, one of the closest things to crack a pack rat, er, art grad can legally obtain. Yards and yards and yards of ribbon... and buttons beyond your wildest dreams... and fabric from all over... and... and! AND! Nancy's Sewing Basket is located in the Queen Anne neighborhood of Seattle and it's an amazing resource for all your crafting desires. This last weekend I picked up two new fabrics to create covers for throw pillows and I'm so in love with the colors I could almost not sew them at all. That's how beautiful they are. Check 'em out.
There's a raw silk somethin' or other and a beautifully embroidered such and such that just called to me. Really, they did.

Okay so you got me. I have no idea what a Passementrie trim or a Swiss Batiste is but goddamnit I know pretty! And pretty is this pairing of warm grey, mildly refined silk and concord hued, tightly spun poppy-esque pattern.

I also managed to score some more foolishness in the way of five different types of ribbon to play with. I bought more of the pinky-orange and chocolate brown ribbon we looked at for the wedding decorations as well as some linen-like/rustic americana grosgrain in a blue and red. To top it all off I picked out a fun french countryside red and yellow reversible with a chicken and egg motif. Who knows what the hell I'm going to do with that but it was too cute to pass up.


Nancy's has been a Queen Anne icon for 30 years and their staff is so unbelievably helpful, you'll find everything you need. So if you're in the hood you should pick up a short, decaf vanilla latte from Cafe Ladro while you read the newest issue of [my personal favorites] Fast Company or Saveur and then amble on down the block to Nancy's. I promise you'll be thanking me for weeks.

Nancy's Sewing Basket

2221 Queen Anne Avenue North
Seattle, WA 98109

Store Hours:
Monday-Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday: 9:30am-6:00pm
Thursday: 9:30am-8:00pm Sunday: 12:30-5:00pm

No comments: