Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Salty goes soft

Things around the house have been a bit rough lately. I've been mopey and uninterested in most everything. Work is dull and disappointing and it turns out dishes don't actually wash themselves. So after a grueling eight hours of accounting work, stapling receipts and sorting out invoices, I found myself in front of the television at 10pm, watching America's Got Talent. Okay- so I didn't exactly, "find" myself there. I've actually been looking forward to the new season for the last few days. I digress.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit it but there actually is something about this show that I really enjoy. When someone (or a group of someones) with real talent takes the stage and just blows the whole lot of judges out of the water and the crowd goes nuts with excitement, I get the tiniest of goosebumps and my eyes make like they could almost, just maybe, let slip a tear. And I love it.

Tonight I experienced a bit of deja vu as I watched a portly and very humble insurance salesman belt out a pretty bit of opera music. Piers Morgan, the British judge (alongside Sharon Osbourne and David Hasselhoff) is best known for his bitey remarks and making children cry. But he was impressed by Neil- as he should be. Only this is not the first portly everyman to belt out Nessun Dorma under the bright lights of a "... Got Talent" stage. Paul Potts wowed judges in 2007 singing the very same song in the British predecessor to our American show. But you know what? I loved it just the same. I think it's all my heart can manage to watch someone who, for all purposes seems completely average, rise up and show an arena full of people that they are something special.

Check it out. I dare you not to be humbled by the sincerity. I can't believe I'm about to say this. But it's actually like watching someone's dream come true right before your eyes.

No comments: