Thursday, July 10, 2008

Month-i-versaries

I don't need anniversaries if monthiversaries are this good.  

Mr.Mr. subscribes to an email listing called American Life in Poetry which is a very English-major kind of thing of him to do.  Only today the poem he received in his inbox was perfectly timed.  He gave me a hand-written transcription of it today as a small celebratory token.  I think it may very well be the most beautiful and appropriate thing I've ever read.  

Marry Me (a senryu sequence)

When I come late to bed
I move your leg flung over my side --
that warm gate

nights when you're not here
I inch toward the middle
of this boat, balancing

when I turn over in sleep
you turn, I turn, you turn,
I turn, you

some nights you tug the edge
of my pillow under your cheek
look in my dream

pulling the white sheet
over your bare shoulder
I marry you again

I'm thinking it would be great to have a version letterpress printed and then framed as a sweet little reminder.

...

Oh yeah, and in case you're thinking I've gone completely soft and mushy over Mr.Mr.'s by-proxy proclamations of sweet, sweet love... just have a listen to tonight's anthem care of the Flight of the Conchords.


Hmmm... now if only I could parlay these monthiversary presents into an art studio, printing press and a room full of type and ornaments.  Yeeeaah.

No comments: