Thursday, August 7, 2008

Everday giving

I read a lot of blogs. And I mean- a LOT of blogs. It's gone way past the casual clicking and become a full-fledged part of my day... so much so that I sometimes feel frustrated or bad if I don't have a chance to catch up on a daily basis. Ridiculous, I know. So to offload some of the internal conflict I feel about spending so much time online, I make a habit of incorporating a small bit of daily giving into my blog routine. Charity USA is the link on the top of my list of blogs as a reminder to spend at least the first fifteen seconds of my web day on something productive.

Through their homepage you can visit all six of their charitable sites (Hunger, Breast Cancer, Child Health, Literacy, the Rainforest, and Animal Rescue) and contribute to their causes with the click of a mouse. Once you "click to give," you'll be directed to a page listing the site sponsors whose ad revenue supports each cause. Not to mention, some of the shops selling items made and sold through fair trade exchanges offer really unique gifts with frequent shipping discounts. Double up on your good deeds!

I know it doesn't seem like much but I remind myself that sometimes big change is manifested through small (and frequent) acts of kindness, and that it's the least I can do before I start clicking madly through the mass of design, art, and food sites to spend a little time thinking of others.

No comments: